Old Postcards of Vt.

Old Postcards
of Northern Vermont

By Janice Boyko
NEKG

Northeast Kingdom
Genealogy
St. Johnsbury, Vt Genealogy

St. Johnsbury, Vt
Genealogy

Do you have old postcards of the
Northeast Kingdom area,
Send a copy and I'll display them here.

Last postcard added on
June 5, 2010
Page 1 - Barton, Vermont
Page 2 - Newport, Vermont
Page 3a - Saint Johnsbury, Vermont
Page 3b - Old Pictures of St Johnsbury
Page 4 - Lyndonville, Vermont
Page 5 - Passumpsic, Vermont

Page 6 - Greensboro, Vermont
Page 7 - Miscellaneous
Page 8 - Hardwick, Vermont
Page 9 - Guildhall, Vermont
Page 10 - Danville, Vermont

Page 11 - Albany, Vermont
Page 12 - Lunenburg, Vermont
Page 13 - Island Pond, Vermont
Page 14 - Barnet, Vermont



To see a larger picture of a postcard
click on the slide in the table below.
Slide 1

Hotel Passumpsic
Half still sits on the north side
of the Passumpsic village green,
the other half sits about 300 yds south-west
and up the hill (cut in half sometime
after the 1927 flood).
Card is from Ernest Skinner to Effie Rundle.
Thanks to Bruce Filgate

Postmark 1950's

Slide 2

Ides Mill, Passumpsic
Vermont

No Postmark

Thanks to Bruce Filgate


Slide 3

Location and date unknown
If you can identify, please write

No Postmark
Addressed to Mrs. Jessie Rash

Thanks to Bruce Filgate


Slide 4

Location is the E.T. & H.K. Ide feed store
in Passumpsic village, next to the
Passumpsic River bridge.
Woman's identity is unknown.
No Postmark and postcard is from
Ruby Plum Somers Rash's photo album.

Thanks to Bruce Filgate


Slide 5

Baptist Church and Parsonage
Looking southeast across route 5
from the Passumpsic village green

Unused Postcard

Thanks to Bruce Filgate


Slide 6

Post Office - Passumpsic
Looking north from just east of
the Passumpsic village green
Postmarked Jul 13 8AM 1920
With a red Passumpsic cancel Jan 5, 1954

Thanks to Bruce Filgate


Slide 7

Passumpsic Village
Looking west from a vantage point
high in the Narrows east of Passumpsic village

Postmarked Jan 29, 1905 Passumpsic, Vt

Thanks to Bruce Filgate


Slide 8

Flood Nov 4, 1927
Passumpsic Vermont Looking Northwest at the E.T. & H.K. Ide Feedstore next to the bridge over the Passumpsic River, at the far left is the Passumpsic General Store

Thanks to Bruce Filgate


Slide 9

Looking east over the then fenced in
Passumpsic Green, the Passumpsic
General Store just to the left of center.
The road running left-right in the
foreground is known today as US Route 5
Passumpsic Vermont

Thanks to Bruce Filgate


Slide 10
Passumpsic Grade School picture

Front: (L to R)
Newell (Stub) Somers, Ferdnand Jalbert,
Betty Urie, Christy, Whitehill,
Gloria Hunter, Betty Rash
Middle: (L to R)
Marnel Harran, Priscilla Amell,
Earl Stetson, Joyce Salt, Mae LaFlamme,
Mary LaFlamme, Reginald Lamothe
Back: (L to R)
Vernon Alger, Janet Urie, Iona Blair,
Joanne Hamilton, Miss Lila Fisher,
Chester Quimby, Margaret Whitehill,
Patricia Hamilton

Thanks to Bruce Filgate


Slide 11

This postcard is somewhat unusual as the picture
is a photograph pasted onto the "generic" card.
Postmarked: Passumpsic, Vt APR 6, 4 PM,
The year is missing, but with a 1 cent stamp

View is looking east from about 1/4 mile east
of the Passumpsic River bridge in Passumpsic.
This view is about where I91 now crosses the
Narrows Road and the brook.

Thanks to Bruce Filgate


Slide 12

Flood, Nov. 4, 1927 Passumpsic, Vt.

"This picture shows part of the Fiber Mill and -- cars on the side track. The first one was loaded with thin products ready to send away. They have got that out now and the grade was not damaged at all"

Facing southeast from in front of the
Passumpsic General Store.

Thanks to Bruce Filgate


Slide 13

Flood of Nov 4, 1927 in Passumpsic, Vt.


Thanks to Bruce Filgate


Slide 14

Passumpsic Baptist Church looking northeast. Unused postcard - This is the second structure, the first having been west and up the hill perhaps 300 yards from this location.

Thanks to Bruce Filgate


Slide 15

Picture is of the Passumpsic general store next to the railroad crossing. Seemingly the platform scale plate is visible just behind Jack Penny (last four owner/operators of general store were Penny, Hamilton, Smith, Filgate), Chet King is standing on the porch..

Thanks to Bruce Filgate


Slide 16

Looking west across the Passumpsic River
at the next to last train station building,
behind, above and right of the station
is the Passumpsic school house.

Courtesy of the
Digital Collections at Middlebury College
With permission from Hans Raum,
Vermont Collection, Curator
Middlebury College, Middlebury, VT


Slide 18

Looking north at the last Passumpsic
train station, after the 1927 flood.

Courtesy of the
Digital Collections at Middlebury College
With permission from Hans Raum,
Vermont Collection, Curator
Middlebury College, Middlebury, VT

Immediately behind the station and up the hill is the Passumpsic school house, with the top of it belfry just visible.
Information provided by Bruce Filgate


Slide 17

B & M Railroad Station (1902)
Passumpsic, Vermont

Shows an earlier Boston and Maine Railroad station before a new station was built (new station razed about 1990); the last station is shown in the postcard above.
Information provided by Bruce Filgate


Slide 19

Passumpsic Baptist Church (1909)
Passumpsic, Vermont
Looking south east, with what is now the
parsonage in the background.
The parsonage was originally the church
property donor's home, given to the church
for as long as they had a use for it,
whereupon it was to be returned to the
original owners heirs. A framed
copy of the document to that effect hung
in the upstairs hallway in the 1950s.
Information provided by Bruce Filgate


Slide 20

Looking North
Passumpsic River bridge c1910
Passumpsic, Vermont


Slide 21

Looking South
Passumpsic River bridge 1898
Passumpsic, Vermont

Looking closely at the farm house on the top of Mill Hill, one can just discern the window shutters, some closed. In 2000 the house and large barn were still present. The milk shed connected to the back of the house and to the barn, was torn down about 1960.
Thanks to Bruce Filgate






For comments and questions please contact Janice Boyko


Site Design by 3houses