Old Postcards of Vt.

Old Postcards
of Northern Vermont

By
NEKG

Northeast Kingdom
Genealogy
St. Johnsbury, Vt Genealogy

St. Johnsbury, Vt
Genealogy

Do you have old postcards of the
Northeast Kingdom area,
Send a copy and I'll display them here.

Last postcard added on
August 29, 2013
Page 1 - Barton, Vermont
Page 2 - Newport, Vermont
Page 3a - Saint Johnsbury, Vermont
Page 3b - Old Pictures of St Johnsbury
Page 4 - Lyndonville, Vermont
Page 5 - Passumpsic, Vermont

Page 6 - Greensboro
Page 7 - Miscellaneous
Page 8 - Hardwick, Vermont
Page 9 - Guildhall, Vermont
Page 10 - Danville, Vermont

Page 11 - Albany, Vermont
Page 12 - Lunenburg, Vermont
Page 13 - Island Pond, Vermont
Page 14 - Barnet, Vermont



To see a larger picture of a postcard
click on the slide in the table below.
1
Slide 1

Church Street
Covered Bridge over the Stevens River
Barnet
Vermont

Thanks to Les Moore
for donating this postcard


2
Slide 2

East Barnet
Vermont

3
Slide 3

Main Street c1920
East Barnet
Vermont

4
Slide 4

East Barnet Village c1920
Vermont

5
Slide 5

Railroad washout 1927
East Barnet
Vermont

6
Slide 6

Presbyterian Church 1910
West Barnet
Vermont

7
Slide 7

Snake Alley 1907
Barnet
Vermont

8
Slide 8

Church Street 1949
Barnet
Vermont

9
Slide 9

Covered Bridge and Falls
Barnet
Vermont

10
Slide 10

Barnet Falls
Barnet
Vermont

11
Slide 11

Main or Church Street 1907
Barnet
Vermont

12
Slide 12

1908
West Barnet
Vermont

13
Slide 13

1922
West Barnet
Vermont

14
Slide 14

Barnet
Vermont

15
Slide 15

Barnet from Monroe, NH
Barnet
Vermont

16
Slide 16

Toll Covered Bridge ca1930
Barnet
Vermont

17
Slide 17

Valley of the Connecticut (1860's)
from Barnet, Vermont

18
Slide 18

School ca1910

Barnet
Vermont

19
Slide 19

2-room Schoolhouse
on the left-hand side of Route 5
as you entered EB from Barnet Mountain.

East Barnet, Vermont

Thanks to Fred Langevin
for donating this postcard
20
Slide 20

This postcard mailed in May 1922 shows the Congregational Church and just over the brow of the hill on Route 5, the top floor of Roy’s Block. Notice the wooden sidewalk that starts just around the corner to the left and continues past the church all the way to the schoolhouse. It was not replaced by a cement sidewalk until 1929.

East Barnet, Vermont

Thanks to Fred Langevin
for donating this postcard
21
Slide 21

A short distance along Route 5, a short road branched off that had two houses on it. The first one on the right belonged to a family named Tilton in March 1910 when this card was mailed. The second house with barn belonged to McGills.

East Barnet, Vermont

Thanks to Fred Langevin
for donating this postcard
22
Slide 22

A close-up of the Tilton house
with McGill’s barn in the right rear.

East Barnet, Vermont

Thanks to Fred Langevin
for donating this postcard
23
Slide 23

The large building is Roy’s Block which is on the corner of Route 5 and the road leading down to the covered bridge and on to Waterford. Across the Route 5 from it and up over a bank is the short road shown in card#2 that had the two houses on it. This was probably built in 1914 as it is located where a pile of lumber is seen in the next card in the left foreground. Later a 6-room apartment was attached to the left side of the block and I was born there in September 1930. The block is no longer there.

East Barnet, Vermont

Thanks to Fred Langevin
for donating this postcard
24
Slide 24

The road branched off from Route 5 where Roy’s Block was later built and continued to the covered bridge over the river and on to Waterford. This card was mailed in August 1909.

East Barnet, Vermont

Thanks to Fred Langevin
for donating this postcard
25
Slide 25

A covered bridge over the Passumpsic River and the house belonging to John Roy , owner of Roy Brothers Croquet factory. The house and factory were destroyed by fire in September 1925. The bridge and railroad station were damaged as well. This card was mailed in March 1919.

East Barnet, Vermont

Thanks to Fred Langevin
for donating this postcard
26
Slide 26

This unused postcard shows Roy Brothers Croquet Factory and to the left, the end of John Roy’s house as well as the railroad tracks across the river.

East Barnet, Vermont

Thanks to Fred Langevin
for donating this postcard
27
Slide 27

This unused card shows the dam and water spilling over that provided electrical power for the factory and by December 1930 for the entire village.

East Barnet, Vermont

Thanks to Fred Langevin
for donating this postcard
28
Slide 28

Looking from the south towards the bridge over the Stevens River
The caption reads, "Church St., Barnet Vt. 106,"
and it is postmarked Barnet 1913.

Thanks to Les Moore
for donating this postcard
29
Slide 29

Church Street, Looking South towards the bridge over the Stevens River
The caption reads, "Lower Church St. and New Bridge, Barnet Vt. B81C,"

Thanks to Les Moore
for donating this postcard
30
Slide 30

Parsonage at Barnet, Vt.
The caption reads, "Rev. J.K. Kilbourne, Barnet 28"
and it is postmarked Barnet 1907.

Thanks to Les Moore
for donating this postcard
31
Slide 31

Church Street, Barnet, Vermont
The caption reads, "Church St. Barnet Vt. 111,"
Shows just the front of the town hall and
is dated by the writer March 1, 1916

Thanks to Les Moore
for donating this postcard
32
Slide 32

Another view fron Church St. of the
Covered Bridge over the Stevens River
Slightly different view as of slide #1.
Barnet, Vermont

Thanks to Les Moore
for donating this postcard
33
Slide 33

Another view of the Covered Bridge on Church St.
Slightly different view as of slide #1 & #32
Barnet, Vermont

Thanks to Les Moore
for donating this postcard




For comments and questions please contact